If person is disabled or cognitively impaired to the extent that he or she is unable to take care of their affairs, and no appropriate Powers of attorney are in place, it may be necessary to Petition the Court to declare him or her incapacitated and appoint a Guardian. The Court may appoint a Guardian of the Estate, a Guardian of the Person or a Plenary Guardian of both the Estate and Person. The Court requires medical evidence that the individual is, indeed, incapacitated. Once a Guardian is appointed, the Guardian must report to the Court on an annual basis concerning the assets and the health and living conditions of the Incapacitated Person.

Our law firm can help you determine if a Guardianship is necessary, and, if so, assist in the petition and hearing process.